Sunday, July 18, 2010

Seeds of Greatness

17And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there.

18Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.

19And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

20And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away! (Matthew 21:17-20, King James Version)

At the moment there is disease in my body. Now, there is a sermon that I was re-listening to today that assures me that I would have health if I was "heeding" (following) every word that God speaks and has spoken, but I also had to meditate on this passage. The sermon spoke of Christians' casual nature with the scriptures. The teacher said that we are casual with how God says to live, and then we go to Him and whine when we have problems that result from our ignorance of His word. Yes, studying the Bible is essential. And listening to the Spirit is also essential for wholeness and health and prosperity in every way.

Back to the passage:
God gives us amazing giftings in this life. We all have amazing potential, but it is up to us to cultivate these seeds of greatness and to produce good fruit. For me it is mainly the talent of writing that I have been given. But, do I write everyday as if my life depended on it? I also have the seeds of song-writing and speaking. These I have not cultivated nearly as much as writing, but I have not believed that any of these gifts could bring me before great men (Proverbs 18:16).

I didn't dream that I could be reading a poem at the inauguration of a president because of dedication and cultivation of that seed, the tending of that seedling.

Lesson:
There are dreams that you have. And there are gifts that you have that you say that you will do someday. Begin today cultivating those gifts, and make it your life's purpose to serve humanity with those gifts. Don't tell God I do it when my circumstances improve, because it is through the use of those gifts that your circumstances improve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment