Monday, July 30, 2012

Standing with Billy Graham & Mike Huckabee in their support of Chick-fil-A's founding family

I just got this article from Billy Graham in an email forward. I suppose I could have forwarded it, but I didn't because I figured it would be just as effective to blog about it and ping different social networks with the link.

Bily Graham
Billy Graham 1994.


The big difficulty is that not all Christian denominations agree on defending heterosexual marriage. And, I am not sure how important this issue is to our country's future.

I do remember reading one of my student's essays, and his statement that all societies or empires that have legalized same-sex marriage have fallen. I do not know about the validity of his research though. I also do not have national loyalties; I am for the Christian church. I am certain that I would be fine if America fell.

Apart from that, I am not certain what the leaders of IHOP-KC or Billy Graham are asking us to do on August 1st. Will there be some sort of demonstration? Are they going to have some sort of televised message that we are to tune into? Are we all to go out and buy food from Chick-fil-A on the 1st of August?

Link to original article: http://www.billygraham.org/articlepage.asp?articleid=8824

All of those questions remained unanswered after I read the forwarded email which featured the article from BillyGraham.org almost verbatim.

From the leadership of the International House of Prayer of Kansas City and TheCall:

We are sending the following email to several hundred thousand believers on our databases, calling them to stand with Billy Graham and Mike Huckabee in their support of the leadership family of Chick-fil-A in standing up for God's view of marriage.

We encourage all Bible-believing ministries and believers to forward Billy Graham's message below to as many as possible, calling them to join Billy Graham and Mike Huckabee on Wednesday, August 1.
Actually, after reading the article on Billy Graham's website more carefully, I see that the message was clipped in the forwarded email. This last statement was left out from the email from IHOP-KC: "As the son of a dairy farmer who milked many a cow, I plan to "Eat Mor Chikin" and show my support by visiting Chick-fil-A next Wednesday."

I find the fact that this last line was left out most interesting because it seems to be the most important. I suppose the IHOP-KC leaders wanted us to pray for Chick-fil-A, Billy Graham and Mike Huckabee as prayer is their m.o.

But, in all seriousness, I tend to stay out of political matters for because of this. I see huge and powerful marketing machines behind a lot of "Christian" ministries.

And, this is a delicious marketing ploy.

Let me qualify that statement. I was so excited about the LivingWater's publication's anti-abortion movie until I started receiving daily advertisements for books, etc.

I do believe in unity or moving as one, and I may buy some Chick-fil-A on August 1st if their sales have somehow suffered because of taking a stance completely opposite to Obama's.  But, I, of course, will remain wary of Christians that war more in the physical realm than in the spiritual realm for change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment